Monday, January 14, 2008

En Route to Ghana

Day 1, January 14, 2008 - London's Heathrow Airport

Hello and welcome to the blog of my three.five month adventure of interning in Ghana. I am currently in transit and have a 6 hour layover in London. I should arrive in Accra at about 11pm at which point a driver named Julius is picking me up and bringing me to either a hotel or my apartment (my housing hasn't been finalized yet!).

For those of you who haven't heard, I am interning with World Education for the semester and will be working on an HIV prevention program in the eastern region of the country. Specifically, I have been tasked with interviewing 250 girls between the ages of 12 and 19 to find out what they currently know about HIV and other STDs, what job skills they have and what job skills they would be interested in pursuing and the business skills they are interested in acquiring to further their job skills. The focus of the program will be to further career opportunities and increase their capacity to succeed in these careers.

Quite possibly, this could change knowing the nature of international work! I am pretty tired after a long trip over to London. It is hard to believe I still have one more flight to go!

No comments: